With the outbreak of the coronavirus COVID-19, it is very understandable that people may be feeling isolated, anxious and overwhelmed by the actions being taken to prevent the rapid spread of the disease, constantly changing alerts and media coverage regarding the virus.
While it is important to stay informed, Grow believes it’s vital to stay connected and continue looking after ourselves and each other.
It’s these times of isolation (both physical and social) and uncertainty (including financial uncertainty when it is key that we retain and strengthen our sense of community.
How to stay connected during this difficult time:
- Join eGrow – Grow’s online peer group support program:
- Delivered through video conferencing software, the unique community approach encourages a digital connection between peers; working together to develop confidence, resilience, and problem-solving strategies
- Members, in isolation or not, can share their feelings with understanding peers and build support networks while maintaining the safety of themselves and the community
- We are currently offering 14 groups including 3 specifically for young adults, these are all currently facilitated by an experienced Grow staff member in order to best meet the needs of the community through these difficult times
- As the situation develops, we would like to reassure Australians that the eGrow services will continue to expand to meet demand throughout the COVID-19 crisis
- Reach out – If there is someone you think may struggle through social isolation, reach out to them and let them know you care:
- Call them to check on their health (like a 12th Step call)
- Send an email with some personal updates
- Don’t underestimate the power you have to offer support and hope to another person.
- Stay busy while in isolation – We encourage people to get creative with how they interact, here are some ways to stay connected if self-isolating:
- Find a member of your group or a friend to set daily challenges with. These could include a creative, healthy or mindful pursuit and be sure to check in to stay motivated.
- Set dates and times to watch the same TV shows/movies with someone and message each other your thoughts along the way.
- Follow our social media – This will keep you up to date with Grow and what’s going on. Share your favourite pieces of Program with us!.
Remember – we are all in this together.
Reputable sources of information
- Australian Department of Health – http://www.health.gov.au
- Australian Department of Health – Info on Self Isolation
- World Health Organisation – http://www.who.int
- Smart Traveller (information for Australian travellers) – https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/news-and-updates/coronavirus-covid-19